From The Canadian Press
The Montreal Canadiens have named Marc Bergevin their new general manager.
“Geoff Molson, Owner, President and CEO of the Montreal Canadiens will introduce Marc Bergevin as the Club’s new general manager during a press conference which will be held this afternoon,” said a release on the team’s website.
Bergevin served as assistant GM for the Blackhawks under Stan Bowman this season.
A former defenceman with 20 years NHL experience, he has spent seven seasons in various jobs in Chicago’s front office.
Bergevin played for Chicago, the Islanders, Hartford, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St. Louis, Pittsburgh and Vancouver from 1984 to 2004.
The 46-year-old Montreal native succeeds the fired Pierre Gauthier.
The book on Marc Bergevin
- Age: 46
- Hometown: Montreal
- Most recent NHL position: Assistant GM, Chicago
- NHL front-office career with Chicago: Assistant GM, director of player personnel, director of pro scouting
- NHL coaching career: Assistant, Chicago, 2008-09
- NHL playing career: 20 seasons
- Position: Defence
- Drafted: 3rd round (59th overall) by Chicago in 1983
- NHL teams: Chicago (1984-89), NY Islanders (1989-90), Hartford (1990-92), Tampa Bay (1992-95 & 2002-03), Detroit (1995-96), St. Louis (1996-2001 & 2001-02), Pittsburgh (2000-01 & 2002-04) and Vancouver (2003-04)
- Regular-season games: 1,191
- Goals: 36
- Assists: 145
- Points: 181
- Penalty minutes: 1,090
- Playoff games: 80
- Goals: 3
- Assists: 6
- Points: 9
- PIMs: 52
— Doug Harrison, CBC Sports
Buy Montreal Canadiens NHL Habs Hockey player figures online at www.cmdstore.com