Article by Bryan Alexander from The Hollywood Reporter.
For Elijah Wood, shooting Peter Jackson‘s The Hobbit is going to be like a Middle Earth family reunion.
Many of the actors who shot the original Lord of the Rings saga with will be returning to New Zealand for the Hobbit shoot this winter. Wood himself confirmed he was reprising his character Frodo.
“(Ian) McKellen is back, Cate Blanchett is back, Andy Serkis, and Orlando (Bloom),” Wood tells The Hollywood Reporter at the Art of Elysium ‘Heaven’ gala on Saturday evening. “It’s going to be like going back in time.”
As for who else might be joining the cast, Wood insists he doesn’t know. He wouldn’t even say if his Rings onscreen sidekick Sean Astin was coming back. “I haven’t even read the script,” he says.
Wood does know his part will be small and it will be shot in February. Wood’s character Frodo doesn’t officially appear in J.R.R. Tolkien’s book The Hobbit, He did not say how Frodo would be worked into the movie. But Wood assured fans that he only took the part knowing that it would respect the work.
“There only would have been reservation about taking the part if there had been something that had infringed upon the integrity of the original book,” he says. “But that was never going to be the case.”
While the ‘Rings’ reunion is happening, the actor does not believe it will be a repeat session where the main actors opted for bonding tattoos during the filming of the original series.
“This time around, I don’t think so,” says Wood. “But you never know.”