Found this PR Newswire article off the net.
TORONTO, May 12 /PRNewswire/ — There’s an old saying that says that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, but Spin Master Ltd., the company behind the North American toy-phenom Bakugan Battle Brawlers, is warning imitators that counterfeiting will not be tolerated and is offering parents guidance on how to ensure that their Bakugan purchases are the real thing.
Between February 6 and May 2, 2008, Spin Master Ltd. in conjunction with its anti-counterfeiting enforcement team at the Toronto-based law firm of Kestenberg Siegal Lipkus LLP served a combination of Canadian Federal Court Order Anton Piller Orders and cease and desist letters on 15 locations in Ontario and Quebec. As a result of this effort, a total of 2203 counterfeit Bakugan Battle Brawler items have been removed from sale. In addition, several businesses involved in the importation, distribution and sale of counterfeit Bakugan Battle Brawlers toys are currently being investigated.
“Spin Master has asked us to aggressively pursue the suppliers and stores selling these infringing products and we believe the word is getting out there that counterfeits will not be tolerated,” notes Lorne Lipkus of Kestenberg Siegal, Lipkus who is heading the enforcement efforts. “The obstacle facing us in our efforts is that Bakugan is such a hot product, even the counterfeiters and stores selling the counterfeits are selling out quickly. As enticing as counterfeits might be to some retailers however, its not worth the risk of a law suit.”
The RCMP Border Integrity investigators consistently note that the following is characteristic of the counterfeit products they encounter:
1. They are almost always cheaply made;
2. They are often unsafe;
3. They always generate huge profits for organized crime;
4. People involved in trafficking counterfeit products don’t care about the health and safety of the people, who knowingly or unknowingly, buy the product.
“The inevitable result of having a successful product is that the market gets flooded with cheap imitations,” states Christopher Harrs, General Counsel for Spin Master Ltd. “It’s often small convenience stores that are the unwitting buyers and end up on the wrong end of a law suit with consequences far outweighing the profit they could make on this product. The bigger mass-market stores know better. ”
From the Japanese words “baku” meaning “to explode” and “gan” meaning “sphere,” Bakugan Battle Brawlers is a collectible action strategy game featuring small spheres that pop open into powerful Bakugan monster action figures when skillfully rolled onto the game’s metal cards. Launched in Canada in August, then the United States this past January, Bakugan Battle Brawlers has exploded into the market to become the most talked about and most in-demand item for North American kids.
“We’re bringing in Bakugan in planes, trains, automobiles … whatever we can do to deliver product fast to meet this incredible demand,” says Donna MacNeil, Senior Director of Communications at Spin Master Ltd.
“Bakugan is selling out within hours of reaching stores — kids want this product, and they want the real thing.”
More information on Bakugan Battle Brawlers can be found at http://www.bakugan.com and http://www.spinmaster.com
My Final Observations:
Here are some tips to help ensure that your Bakugan purchases are the real thing:
- Some counterfeit Bakugan packaging is identical to original product so check the packaging for the Spin Master logo (look for spelling/grammar errors on the packaging)
- There usually is no UPC bar code on the fake bakugan packaging
- Infringing product is being sold under names such as “Bursting Egg” and “Battle Brawlers”
- Only buy from North American retailers (do not buy from websites based Overseas)
- Organized Crime? I don’t know who wrote this Newswire article but that is very unlikely. Can you image the Sopranos making fake Bakugans in a New Jersey factory!!! Yes…fake bakugans are adding bucks to their accounts to finance drugs. Mmmm…what is more profitable? Fake Bakugans or Drugs. Hey, crack a raw egg on a hot pan and figure it out. Bakugan has a finite FAD shelf life. Drugs have an indefinite life with much more consumers/users. I could go on and on…but let’s not beat this up any further.
- Authentic Bakugan Battle Brawlers items will always be in packaging (unless you are buying from a reputable retailer that sell Loose Bakugans individually) Always purchase loose bakugans from an online retailer that is a member of the Better Business Bureau (BBB Inc)
- I would not worry too much about fake bakugans as Spin Master has done an excellent job in protecting the consumer (they started addressing this issue 6 months ago and have cleaned up the streets of fake bakugans in North America)
We are currently running a Bakugan Contest. Wanna enter and play….click the image to win a Bakugan Training
CmdStore.com is one of the only retailers able to offer the season’s number one hot toy, Bakugan, in such huge and diverse quantities, with every accessory possible still available for sale through the site! Cmdstore has so many bakugan choices from: opened/loose and sealed boosters, starters, battle packs, collector tins, arenas, launchers to customized gift sets, you will always find something for your budget. Cmdstore has been in business for over 16 years and is an accredited member of the Better Business Bureau Inc (BBB).
Here are some other bakugan articles you might be interested in:
What is Bakugan?
How to Play Bakugan (with Youtube Instructions)
FAQ Bakguan (Frequently Asked Questions)
What size Bakugan are best?
Names of Bakugan (Download High Quality Free Poster)
How to Repair your Bakugan?
Online Bakugan Video Games are Here?
My Favorite Bakugan ball is…
Fake and Custom Bakugans
Upcoming Bakugan Movie
BakuSwap Bakugan Collection Part 1
BakuSwap Bakugan Collection Part 2
BakuSwap Bakugan Collection Part 3
BakuSwap Bakugan Collection Part 4
BakuClear Bakugan Collection Part 1